newbie with a few questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freshegg, May 24, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I just got 8 RIR hens 1 year olds and Its been 9 days ive had them but I only get 3 eggs a day.So the laying isnt going too good here. How many days after a move do they usually start laying? They seem happy have started coming to me and letting me pat them. I dont have a rooster but they had one til I bought them will that make them stop laying? also I noticed (well maybe my imagination) the red thing on there heads seem darker dont know what it meens I,m obviously totally new to chickens but I love them already . coop is small but run is big should I shut the coop door at night? I posted this message under hens stopped laying message but got no answers so sorry anyone that read it there.

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Hi, [​IMG]
    I really don't know how long it takes for them to start laying again. I do not think that it has anything to do with the rooster though. The reason you might want to close the coop door at night is to keep predators out. The comb (that is what the red thing on there head is called) does usually change colors when they start to lay. It will usually be bright red if the hen is laying. Or more of a dull red if not.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    That is so cool your new chickens are so friendly! Sometimes after a move, some chickens will stop laying for a short time. You do not need a rooster. They will lay without a rooster. Roosters are for fertilizing the eggs if you want them to hatch. I had a hen I got right after it was attacked by a dog and it took a month for it to lay again. Feed them lay crumbles and that helps them lay. Have fun!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    Thanks so much for the info Now I know to call it a comb not the red thing on the head LOL. well maybe they will lay soon since there combs are getting darker. The predators cant get them cause there is high fencing all around them with netting on the top. I love this website I made a 5 gallon bucket feeder from info on here for $3.55 sure beat the 35 dolllars the feed store wanted. I saw a burning the moult cure on here im thinking of trying. (hot pepper popcorn). wish I had tons of land for farming. thanks again

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If they are really one year old then they should all be laying already. However, chickens almost always stop laying after a move to a new place as stated. It may take a couple of weeks for them to totally settle down and feel like they are at home and start laying again.

If their combs are truly getting darker now that you have them I would say you are doing a great job with them and that, possibly, they were not happy or well cared for in their previous home (just a thought - may not be true. I've talked with people who rescued battery hens and their combs and wattles went from a puke red to brilliant red in a few weeks time of being out of those nasty cages and in sunshine with room to roam!)

Keep up the great job and they will soon reward you with those wonderful eggs.

6. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    they came from a small farm where they lived in a big stall with 3 roosters and 30 hens they are very pretty look well cared for except one is darker looks ratty but she is one that lays a jumbo egg daily.I think they are happy here though. I have a coop like room for them with roost and a large dog house with no roost I snuck out last night to see where they sleep and all8 where in the dog house. Silly birds id of took the nice big area.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by