Newbie with a lockdown question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blue Heron Farm, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Blue Heron Farm

Blue Heron Farm New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Connecticut
    I am on my second hatch with my LG incubator. The first hatch went great until lockdown. Out of 18 eggs, only 2 hatched and on day 23 and 24. I figured out my issue was with the thermometer. I "think" I have solved that problem and my second hatch is moving along nicely (so far). I go into lockdown on Tuesday and my question is......
    Do you just lay the eggs on the grate? I put some cheesecloth down on my first round to make cleanup easier. I have seen pictures of people using egg cartons when they are in lockdown....is that the best way? I am concerned that the first ones that hatch kick the un-pipped eggs around.
    What do you do?
    Thank you! [​IMG]

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    I have never used egg cartons! I also use LG's! A forced air with turner for incubating and a still air for hatching! I have pretty much 100% hatch rates! I usually only lose one egg, if any, due to dead-in-shell! I lay them diretly on the grate every time! I leave the chicks i too! I only take them out once a day, right before I go to bed! (i feel bad leaving them in overnight!)

Between the 2nd and the 3rd of this month I had 14 in lockdown! 13 hatched beautifully!!! The Friday before I had 12 in lockdown and 12 hatched!

3. Blue Heron Farm

Blue Heron Farm New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Connecticut
    Thank you so much for your input. :) Happy Hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by