newbie with a newbie momma duck and her baby....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Elly, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Ok the duckling survived his/her first night. I moved the momma and her baby into a large dog crate with a light bulb in it for some heat this morning(we have snow on the ground already and it is cold brrr),but the momma duck doesn't seem to like being in there. She keeps coming out and then sits in different spots while her baby chirps away in the crate???not sure what to do there.

Also how do I know if the baby is eatting any food. I put out layer crumble....some people suggested that as food and others suggested duck crumble...so not sure which way to go there. I have chickens so already had the layer crumble handy. I also put out normal duck food and water for the mom, not sure if she should be eating the layer also.I put the ducklings food out of the crate on the ground in small bowls...not sure again if the little one has eatten anything. How long can they last off their yoke sack or is that already used up??

sorry for sounding so ignorant...but I have not too much knowledge on duck care and hate to be doing something wrong. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appriecated.

2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I know that the little one shouldn't be eating any medicated feed, from what I have been reading. I fed my ducklings duck and goose starter mix.

Tia

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    The little one should have water by its food too, but not so much that it could get in there and drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by