Newbie with a question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Nov 21, 2010.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    HI everyone, I can't tell you how much I have learned over the past 3 months from this forum alone! YOu all are wonderful! We hatched 2 eggs in a borrowed incubator in mid August and got what I "think" is one roo and one little girl. We then bought 2 red sex-linked hens about a month later that have been laying faithfully. My question is about our incubator buddies. The one I think is a roo has grown to a larger size than the hens that are much older and the other one is much smaller and has a hen look about her. The "roo" has just in the last two days begun to have this "new" feather look on his back just before his rump and it kind of looks "picked at" where the feathers are coming in/out. I've posted a few picks. I'd also like your opinions on whether you think my guess about the sex of them is correct. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    He is is a Roo!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The first pic is a hen.

All the others are rooster. The fluffy white feathers are normal, just part of the awkward stage.

[​IMG]

4. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    first pic is a hen and the other pics is the roo... I agree, those feathers are normal... [​IMG]

5. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Thanks! Now if we can just handle the crowing.....or rather our neighbor....single young guy....not sure he's going to be too fond of it since the coop is actually closer to his house than ours....they free range though but in the mornings before they are let out, he might make some noise.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by