Newbie with a sick chicken - clueless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barrelracer, Sep 23, 2010.

1. barrelracer

barrelracer New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    Maine
    Wow I've made it through 6 pages of sick chicken posts and realize I have no clue on chickens and this poor chicken doesn't stand a chance. Ok...here I go. I have a Buff Orpington chicken that is 13 weeks old. I picked 2 up 1 week ago. Daisy is not active, stays in the corner, puffed out feathers, and doesn't seem interested in eating. No other visable signs, but she seems to puff up her back end, but no poops or anything - she's clean. I have no idea how to check all the things that were suggested on here. Not sure if I should give her some medication. She is starting to lose some feathers. The other one seem fine and energetic. I did notice I heard some sneezing a few days ago but haven't heard anything since. Am I over reacting? I lost a chicken 5 years ago and was so devestated and haven't got chickens until now. I get too attached. Any advice I WILL TAKE> Thank you!

2. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    go back to the sticky at the top of the emergencies section and fill out the little questionaire, that will help you get more info across and more reponses. from what i can tell it sounds like she could either be going through molt, while having a respitory infection. or possibly botulism one of the sytoms is that the feathers come out very easy. i just lost 3 to a bad mite/ lice infestaion couples with dehysration that i didnt catch until way to late, so check for that too. others should be of more help, and it will be better if we get that extra info. goodluck

3. barrelracer

barrelracer New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    Maine
    thanks so much I will do that - waiting for hubby to come home to help me out! [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Your chicken is a little old for coccidiosis from what I have read (feathers fluffed up, staying by itself, lethargic), and is missing the bloody poo. But here is a website describing it so that you can decide if it sounds like your situation:
    "Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young birds, but birds can be infected at any time if never before exposed."
    http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html

Starting to lose feathers and maybe sneezing:
    Have you inspected for mites and lice under her wings, and around her neck/vent areas?
    Does she have drainage from her nose or eyes?

Worms, mites, and lice can all cause low energy.

Mini-molting episodes (normal) occur, but I don't remember at what age. They happen several times before the molt that occurs around 18 months. But feather loss is also sometimes seen in mite/lice infestations.

Here is a website listing common poultry diseases with charts at the bottom of the page:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This may be helpful until someone nails it for you!
    Here is one drug that treats coccidiosis as well as some other things- you might want to look at this if you decide to treat her:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html

5. barrelracer

barrelracer New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    Maine
    CAS thank you so much for ALL of that information!!! I have so much to read - ok and on Moulting! Maybe that is it! Thanks again![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by