1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie with chick questions... :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroo, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Chickaroo

Chickaroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Hi all. A friend told me about this wonderful group. I have been reading and reading since I am new to chickens. I am already hooked! I have 3 week old chicks.. 3 Aracaunas, 3 Black Sex Links, 3 Red Sex Links and 6 something or others that start with a B...lol I can't for the life of me remember what they are. They were supposed to be Dual purpose chicks and they are yellow (going to turn white) with furry feet. I just have a few questions that keep lurking in the back of my mind. How soon can we take the babies outside on short day trips? Do we put them on the grass or put them on dirt? Should we keep them confined in a pen or will they stay with us? Does it have to be the same temp outside as their inside house before we can take them out? At what age can we feed them treats and what can they eat? When do we start a perch? They are already hopping up on the feeder and the waterer. Any help would be great!

Thanks!!![​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Hi...and [​IMG] If you can have a enclosed area to put them out on grass, that would be great. Is is warm where you live? Use your head and make sure it's not too cool for them. They'll panic a little when you put them out, remember, it's all new to them.... that's why I said it would be cool if you had a enclosed area to put them in. When mine were young, I just had a circle of hardware cloth to put them in....lots easier to keep track of them. Wait a couple more weeks to feed them treats. I scrambled some eggs for my chicks first treat. I have chicks that are 3 wks and are already sitting on a perch. I just made a low one with a 2x3, ....you could make it like 6 in off the ground.... make sure they can't jump out of their brooder! Have fun with your chicks and if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.....

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I just have a few questions that keep lurking in the back of my mind. How soon can we take the babies outside on short day trips? Do we put them on the grass or put them on dirt? Should we keep them confined in a pen or will they stay with us? Does it have to be the same temp outside as their inside house before we can take them out? At what age can we feed them treats and what can they eat? When do we start a perch? They are already hopping up on the feeder and the waterer. Any help would be great!

You should be able to put them out around 8 weeks (that is when I do anyway).

Grass or dirt is fine they will wonder.

Up to you on penning or not.

No it does not have to be the same temp just pay attention if they are cuddling to keep warm.

Mine love watermelon, they also like cucumbers (cut).

You can put a perch in anytime they will have fun learning with it.

Good luck and enjoy them they are lots of fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by