1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie with coop and run questions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by m_shuman, May 13, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    We are building a 4x8 chicken coop with a 8'x16' run that is attached to the coop. We have 9 chickens and live in S. GA. We will be locking them up at night to make it harder for the predators in our area to eat them. Where do you suggest we place the food and water? Inside the houe or the run?

I have heard and read that sand is the best thing to use inside the coop but I am concerened because of how hot sand can get down here if it is in direct sunlight and not allof my run is shaded during the day. Will the chickens burn their feet?

I am also wondering if I should plant some bushes in the run to give them additional coverage during the day? There are trees behind the run and trees in my yard that will shade it from direct sunlight for a portion of the afternoon.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have little experience here, but will tell you what I have done. I am sure others with much more experience may have better ideas?

I have a feeder and waterer in side the coop 24/7. Now that spring has finally arrived, and we have had some summer like temps, I did put a waterer outside so they didn't have to bother going into the hot coop just to drink. I made it nice and cool for them, and they loved it.

I originally bought the 2nd waterer so that I could fill one at the house, take it out, and bring the other one back up, clean it up,a nd it was ready for the next day. Now I see I needed 2 anyways on hot days. Worked out well:)

As for the run, I just posted the edited part of your post in this section. Many great sugestions on that post. Think I titled it "shade on the outdoor run.". take a look, again many great ideas.

My coop size is 4 x 8 as well:)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I prefer to keep the food in the coop--it makes it harder for pests like rats, mice and wild birds to get at it and means the chickens have access to it whenever they are awake whether I'm ready to feed them or not. Also it keeps it out of the weather. As long as the coop is open during the day they can get in for it as needed. The same is true for water. The only problem with water is that it must be kept at a height that prevents the birds from kicking litter into it, not a problem but just means the waterer has to be cleaned more often. I have mine sitting up on two layers of bricks which seems to help. Of course this depends on how much room you have inside the coop--you will have to place the food and water away from the roost and nesting boxes.

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

We're also in Georgia; our coop is also a 4 by 8 with a 7 by 15 foot run. Much of this is in shade though.

The main feeder and waterers are outside; we do leave a small feeder and waterer in the coop as the birds are kept inside at night.

We've found the sand to be great; the birds love it and it keeps to odor down. Have you considered the use of shade cloth on that part of the run that is in direct sunlight?

Gail

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:I have read on another post about shade cloth and I am considering it as an option. At first DH was going to build a roof over the run but after it took him 3 afternoons to shingle the coop he said no way so now I have to change my plans. He wants to tarp it and I think tarps look tacky and cheap and I am worried about them holding water and collapsing. I am thinking we can strech the shade cloth across the top of the run and it not look to bad.

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

From the postings on this list, it sounds as if many like the use of shade cloth.

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by