Newbie with first baby chick!

MMCZMM

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Elizabethtown
First, love this site, all the info, the people and fun! I've been going croos eyed and lack of sleep for weeks reading on here!
big_smile.png

We just had our very first chick ever hatch, and thank goodness because I don't think my eyes or my neck could handle too much more staring, not to mention my nerves. I am wondering if a few things are to worry over. Our first baby, poked the hole, but never zipped in the egg as I've seen others doing and my other ones are currently doing now. He ppoked one hole and then kept stretching until the egg cracked all of the way around and he is VERY loud!! We could hear him outside 2 rooms away and through a door while he was in the shell! This is my worry...he is ALL over the place ever since he hatched. And he is knocking all the other eggs evrywhere. Is this normal, and should I worry, do something or let it go and maybe do something to as not has this happen again next time? Thanks for any input. This is TRULY addicting! I was going to add a pic of our first new baby, but I haven't a clue how to upload pics in here...help please. So Excited!!

in the blue line
index user list rules my page profile recent posts UPLOADS messages GFM sponsers logout
click on uploads
upload your picture
copy the url small or large
insert the url into your message
done! ok i want to see your baby chickie picks!!!!

sorry i cant help you on your issue because i have only had one hatching myself (seramas) and i moved them to the brooder as they hatched. Though i suspect it is normal what your chickie is doing.

Donna in Branson

Thanks Donna in Branson! I am Mandi from Hershey, PA, and in time I will not remember not knowing how to do any of the things on here! Until then, thank you for helping me get there!

I think incubating and hatching is THE most addictive chicken-related behavior EVER.

There is just something so magical about taking eggs and watching a little new life emerge from one, three weeks later.

I, personally, never got bummed if some eggs didn't hatch. If one chick hatched, it was a miracle and if more than one hatched, it was fantastic.

The soccer games the first hatched play with the unhatched eggs is normal. I think it encourages the later ones to come out, come out of there!
lol.png

Thanks for the info! I have noticed since he emerged the others are cracking away faster it seems!

Thank you to for the greeting! I love this place, from a person who never cared much for feathered animals, I am in love and want some of most everykind! I say that until it comes to cleaning time! The lil one who hatched already is a Buff Orpington. The others ready to hatch with them are Delawares. We have 6 silkies already, but we didn't hatch them. 2 of them are showgirls, which we just discovered are both roosters. Love them! I'm going to need a few more barns, and I already have 2.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom