Newbie with light question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyart, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hi! I'm picking up 4 Rhode Island Reds on Tuesday and although I've read tons of information, I still feel unprepared! I'm picking up a clear tupperware container to put the chicks in initially (thanks for all the great ideas & pictures), but my question is... should I get a red light or a white light? Is it up to individual preference or is there a method to the madness? [​IMG] And what watt?
    Thanks!!
    Christine

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It depends on how big your container and the ambient temperature (the temperature of the room or whatever your brooder is in). When my brooder was in the house two 60 to 100 watt bulbs were enough. My brooder is about 26" X 50" with 20" sides. You are looking more for heat in the brooder than wattage of the light bulbs. When I moved the chickens to the garage I upsized to two 250 watt heat lamps and the brooder was the size of a 32" wide door with 24" sides. I had white lights. When the chickens got moved outside I started with one 250 watt heat lamp and had to change to a red lamp because they started pecking.

You can't go wrong with red lights. It keeps them quieter at night and seems to reduce problems with pecking.

You want your initial temperature to be 95 and lower it 5 degrees a week. You can lower the temperature by raising the light and switching to a smaller bulb.

Hope this helped.

3. sariua

sariua New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    This is kinda off topic, but you say you are getting Rhode Island Reds on the 3rd of June, on a tuesday? I am also, and find this ironic. Do you live in the pacific northwest?

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    hi, I found it to be cost effective to just buy the 250 watt red light at the feed store and hang it from a chain above the brooder. When they were little the light was lower, i would just raise the light with an S hook as they grew to raise the light, then you can move them outside with the same bulb. For indoor brooders a 100 watt bulb makes enough heat but it was easier for me to just make the one purchase. The red light helps keep the chicks from pecking each other, also much easier on the eyes. Good luck to you!!!

5. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, I'm getting Rhode Island Reds tomorrow (6/3) , but I live in the Northeast! How funny. Good luck with yours!!
    Christine

Quote:

6. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Great - Thanks so much for your info! I think I'm going to start with the white light - basically because I already have them. Then if I have pecking and peeping issues, I'll get the red.
    Christine

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by