Newbie with Mystery Bantams Pic Heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ariomi, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Ariomi

Ariomi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Hello all! I am a newbie here at BYC. I won't go into my chicken experiance but it is fairly low and I'm just now getting to know all the breeds etc. I just got my first chicks(13 of them!) from a chick day at a farm store on 3/16. I'm assuming they were a few days old so that would put them around 2-2 1/2wks. They came from Heartland Hatchery here in MO. These guys are all Bantams. I asked the guy to write down what he'd given me since I just told him I wanted a banty assortment. He wrote it down but he was in a real hurry and it took me until a few days ago to finally know what all he wrote down. So the list is Silky, Cochin, Old English,Domineker, and Millie Fluer.
    Group Shot
    [​IMG]
    1.OEGB? She has a few small black spots on her back
    [​IMG]
    2.Silky (5 toes) but what color?

[​IMG]
    3.My Fav hope its a she, could this be the Millie Fluer? She has great leg feathers, real thick. Cochin? Oh and she was reaching her neck out to see what was going on lol she's doesn't normally walk like that...
    [​IMG]
    4.I have 2 of these, rather excited about them. Are they porceilan? Cochins or?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6.Another Silky, thought she was Buff but now look at the wing feathers, splash?
    [​IMG]
    7.OEGB I'm assuming, she pretty, her name is Pippin
    [​IMG]
    8.Group shot of the Domineques. That small one in the front thought seems to be blacker then the rest..?
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much all for any help! I'm so excited to have these babies!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    So cute! I think you are right on your breed guesses. The silkie is a partridge. :)

3. That one with more black is a pullet

from my experince, your other dominiueqes are all roosters....

yup the silkie is partridge, that cochin looks porcelain, you might have a mille fluer but mille fluer is a color, not a breed, and that actually looks like a golden laced cochin if you ask me LOL

4. Ariomi

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you for the replies! Yes I knew Millie Fluer was a coloring, so I was confused at which one it might be. Either way she (hopefully) is gorgeous! Any ideas what colors my OEGBs are? You know I was wondering about the Domi's, thought they might be roos... that little black one doesn't hang with the rest normally. Any idea on sex for any of the others? Thanks so much again!

5. well the Domis can be sexed by their little dots

looks like you have 2 roos and 2 pullets,

OEGB, you most likely have some red ginger, and such like that, maybe a couple golden/silver duckwing

6. Ariomi

Mar 28, 2012
    That'd be great if I had two pullets instead of just one with the Domi's, I can't have roos. any way your could tell me which is the other pullet? And I did picture 2 silkies, the first is the partraige right? Is the second buff colored one just that or something else?

7. The black one is a pullet cause you see the dot on her head? see how its really small and hardly any white? well the smaller and less white it is, the most likely its a pullet, and you see how the 2 farthest from the camera have a lot of white on their head? they are most likely roosters, the one in front of them looks like a pullet

understand?

The first silkie is a partridge and the 2 is a buff,

and your OEGB is a white OEGB

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Pretty sure #3 and #4 are a Millie Fleur d'Uccle and a Porcelain d'Uccle.

9. Ariomi

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you CochinBrahmaLover, I see it now.

JulieChick, I was actually thinking the same thing because the only pictures of chicks I can find that look like #4 are porcelain D'uccle. I am still new to this and haven't been able to find what the difference is between the Cochins and D'uccles...is it the poofy cheeks? Because #3 my suspected Millie Fluer does have poofy cheeks, they didn't come through in the picture though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. flewdacoop

flewdacoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    cool doms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by