Newbie with positioning question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    Hello all...My 5 y/o daughter and I have started a hatching project after the easter bunny came and left eggs that she didn;t understand why they didn't have chicks in them..LOL..

We have a still air bator with the wire bottom and my question is, how do you stop the eggs from rolling around after positioning?..and can I put a digital thermometer with humidty monitor in there?..

We are very excited about this and hope we are doing everything right!!..
    Thanks in advance for your help...

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I heard to use egg cartons with the bottoms cut out to use to hold the eggs still.... and remember to turn your eggs each day! You only stop turning on day 18.

P.s.- [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    my bator is a still air with wire bottom, also, they don't roll too much but I think you can put down paper towel on it also but will have to lift to add water if your resevoirs are under wire.....good luck and keep us updated!!!

4. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    Ok..the paper towel thing might work and then my question was going to be, how do I fill the water? And what do I do with the eggs while I am filling the water?.....how full with water do the spots have to be?..guess I should get the humidifyer controller thing...UGGHHH...stress already at Day 1!!!...LOL....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by