Newbie with questin about roosting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cajunrose, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Cajunrose

Cajunrose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    We are starting our small flock (5-8 hens) very very soon and my husband is starting to plan the coop and run. Does each hen need it's own roosting box? Can all share maybe 4 or 5 roosting boxes?

Another question. My husband has an idea to use 5 gallon buckets on the outside of the coop for roosting boxes (attached to the outside). With vent holes and a door on the bottom (back) side of it to get eggs out. I don't think this is a good idea. He does. Who wins? LOL

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon!

Thanks
    Stephenie

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

There is "roosting" and there is "laying". To which are you referring?

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    One nesting box for 4 to 6 chickens. Two would do you just fine, go with three if you think your flock will expand some day. People use just about anything for nesting boxes and so do the chickens so it does'nt matter as long as it works. I personally like the narrow box with dividers in it screwed to outside of coop with hinged lid for easy access. Nesting boxes only need to be 12" square. My coop is on my page here if you want to check it out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. Cajunrose

Apr 3, 2011
    ROFL I guess I need to brush up on my terms. I think maybe I mean laying boxes? Where they lay the eggs. I promise I have been researching this..lol

Stephenie

5. Cajunrose

Apr 3, 2011
    You know I DO know the difference between what I need..rofl I just used the wrong word. Too many new terms flying at me.

Love your little tykes coop Egghead. Too cute!

Stephenie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by