newbie with questions about 4-5 wk old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LauraM, Mar 25, 2009.

1. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    1) I am trying to show these 4 chicks their perch, but they don't seem to care for it, when do they generally start using the perch?
    2) I have a lamp 125W (they are in a tractor outside) hanging and it is on most the time. If I turn it off they seem more active than when it is on. Perhaps this should be common sense to me, but it seems backward. I guess my question is when is it ok to turn the lamp off? They are well feathered.
    3) this one is just a comment; Holy Crap! They poop a lot!!!! And they are just chicks!!!
    Anyway, if anyone can answer my few questions, that would be great. Oh, they are 2 australorps and 2 orpingtons.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They will start to perch between any time now till 2/3 months usually.

If your ambient weather is warm enough, you can shut if off, but if it's too cool, another week may be good. Depends on where you live.

And yeah, they are little poopie machines!!!

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They will figure out thier perch pretty soon. Some do that same day some take a little while. I wouldnt worry about it. [​IMG] If they are fully feathered they can do without the light, as long as its not bitterly cold until they adjust to being with out the light.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    1. They'll figure out the perch in time. Are they pearching on other things yet? Mine are 2 weeks old and already perch on the edge of the brooder every chance they get.

2. They're big enough to have the light off permanently, or just on really cold nights. They may get too hot (therefore sleepy) with the heat on.

3. Right you are! My dad calls any bird a "flying feathered feacal factory". How true of chickens.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put a dowel in my brooder for the chicks at 1" off the bottom. The chicks love it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Thanks, everyone! I live in Everett, the temperature is much colder than I want it to be!! 30's at night and 40's (wishing for 50's) during the day.

7. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Finally, someone who feels my pain from WA!!! I know what you are talking about so maybe i can help! I just put mine out a couple of weeks ago, right before the March snow and they were so cold i had to bring them in till it warmed up in the afternoon. They were not happy with me at all. [​IMG] Hopefully [​IMG] they should be fine now. I dont think we are suppose to get any more snow this year but who knows. If they are fully feathered i would try it. The heat does tend to make them sleepier and we have longer days now so they should be fine. Good luck and [​IMG]

8. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Hi - I am from Carnation, Washington and it was snowing this morning when I left for work! I don't think Spring will ever come. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by