Newbie with Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gingerj, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Gingerj

Gingerj New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    I've got a hen (BR) who's not doing so well and I'm uncertain of the cause. I found her sleeping in the nesting box three nights ago, which she has continued to do. My husband dusted them with DE recently to treat for lice (yesterday? The day before?), and said she was bony when he picked her up. My son said she was standing with legs splayed, falling asleep standing up, and he thought there was something wrong with her eyes.

We have a mixed flock of 16 plus one surprise roo. We added 14 pullets (including the surprise roo) to our original three in April. She's one of the original three, and is about 18 mo. old. She was our dependable layer, until she began molting about a month ago. You can see her half-asleep in the second photo. In the last photo, she's the middle one with head down.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Definitely sick... Unfortunately DE doesn't treat lice or mite, trust me, I tried. If they have lice and mites you should use poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder. Have they ever been de-wormed? Can you bring her inside where it's warm and offer her scrambled eggs or turkey/gamebird crumbles mixed with water? Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How thin is she? Normal weight for a barred rock is probably 6.5 to 7.5 pounds.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by