Newbie, Wondering About a Few Strange Eggs (Lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JeccaCups, Feb 4, 2017.

1. JeccaCups

JeccaCups New Egg

Jul 23, 2015
    Hey everyone! Trying to hatch a batch of eggs I bought. I'm pretty sure most of them are duds... I candled them today at 1 week in, and here are some of the ones that I'm pretty sure are empty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do we think about these next two? What's the spot in #1, and then what's with the bubbles in #2? I'm thinking blood or meat spot in #1, not chick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there's these few that I'm dubious about. Yea or nay?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is really the only one I'm super sure about:

[​IMG]

So I guess my question is, should I get rid of the empty ones right away? I removed one with the red ring of death already (pictured here: http://jardindefraises.blogspot.com/2017/02/candling-1-week-in.html), and I'm pretty sure the one with bubbles has got to go. There's no bad smell (yet), but I don't want to needlessly endanger the one(s) that might make it. I'm leaning toward keeping the dubious ones and the one definite, and then getting rid of the rest. That will leave me with 5 out of 18.

Thanks for any input :)

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    1,3,5 and 6 I would toss.

The rest I can't be sure about so leave those unless they start to smell

3. orrpeople

orrpeople Looking for a Silver Lining Premium Member

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    This time of year is notoriously bad for egg fertility - even pens with low hen/rooster ratios can come up blank during the winter. I just finished a very frustrating hatch from my own flock, and another breeder's eggs, where I tossed exactly half of all the eggs I had set after the first candle. That said, I know that many BYCers would say to persevere until something stinks, if there is any possibility of development. A couple of those eggs look pretty porous, as if the hens aren't getting enough calcium - that can also affect development.
    Enjoy, even the few chicks that hatch - they'll make the whole process worth it! And, welcome to BYC! It's a great community of folks!

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Candle from the fat end of the egg.....i really could not make anything out. By day 7 you will see veins and the beating heart in most chicken eggs.....

Best of luck....never give up unless your totally certain they are duds.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. JeccaCups

JeccaCups New Egg

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks for your input!! :)

6. JeccaCups

JeccaCups New Egg

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the input!! :) Going to check them again and make some decisions.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have two lights, try candling from the fat end *and* the small end.[​IMG]

8. JeccaCups

JeccaCups New Egg

Jul 23, 2015
    I went to take the egg turner out of the incubator and put it on lockdown. I candled the eggs one last time.

None of them made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by