Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ghgalloway, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ghgalloway

ghgalloway New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    My wife hatched chicks at school with her kinder class. She brought them home and we raised them. Two roos and five hens. Now six months later one of our hens has laid eggs and a few have hatched but are not living thru the night. This is our only experience so we don't know what to do. Please Help.

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Ah, the old kindergarten trick, eh? Don't you know that is how the conspiracy seeks to pull you in?

Our evil minions DISGUISE themselves as kindergarten teachers, MARRY you, hatch chicklets and then -- THEN you are sucked in to become a chicken-crazed addict, desperate and ready to do anything for a fix.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

You should repost this under the emergencies & diseases category or under the incubating and hatching chicks category; you'll find more people to help. also, post more details about type of chicks & environment. Hope you find some help! (and btw, welcome to byc! )

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Didnt mean to sound flip, but I just wanted to cheer you up and then I posted before I finished my reply. You will need to take pics and/or describe the situation a lot more before the tremendously experienced folks on here can help. Also might want to retitle with a detail like "Baby Chicks Aren't Making it Thru Night" to get the attention of those in the know.

best of luck.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:First...... [​IMG] I'm sure you will find lots of great info here !!

So your hen that is "raising" the chicks is only 6 months old ?? Did she sit on the eggs for 21 days and hatch them herself or did you give the chicks to her to raise ?? Does she keep them warm at night or is she being bad mama ?? 6 months is VERY young for a hen to be raising chicks, at that age they can be bad mothers (not all but some) If she isen't sitting on them and keeping them warm that could be a problem !! How long are they living after they hatch ?? Do you see any signs of her or something hurting them ? Any other info you can give would be great !!

6. ghgalloway

ghgalloway New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    She did sit on them for 21 days and she does have them under her plus we have a light on them. She does peck on them but it only looks like she is trying to get it to move around. She does not peck hard.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

She just mught not know what to do with them yet. Some hens make great mothers and some do not.
    after they hatched have you tried taking them away and raising them in the house?

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    My hen will peck at her babies when she wants them to go back under her ( for the first 3 days ) after that they seem to learn what shes saying. And shes a GREAT mama hen !! Dont worry about it to much unless she is "hurting" them !! As long as she is being a good mama I would see no reason to take them away !!

9. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Make sure mamma is keeping them warm... or else you need to put them in a brooder. They need at least 90 degrees to start then bring them down 5 degrees a week till you get to about 75. If mamma isn't with them constantly get them in a box with a light and get some chick starter food!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by