Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by birdbrain58, Sep 25, 2015.

1. birdbrain58

birdbrain58 New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi all just joined this site I'm taking on 3 hens about 18 months old who are sneezing and rattling, what antibiotics can I give them I have septrin here but not sure if its the right one I have used septrin for geese but not sure if I can use it for chickens x

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like they have some kind of respiratory infection. Denaguard or duramycin should get to work on them. I would treat everybody as it's likely they all have this. It may take a few days to get into the system and start working.
    Wishing you the very best of luck with them, I hope they are all well again soon.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. birdbrain58

birdbrain58 New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    I've just been reading about gapeworms which produce similar symptoms I was told they were wormed3-4 months ago but that's dubvious at the moment , should I worm them first?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you examined for signs of gape worm first ? You can use a q-tip to gently sweep off the back of the chickens' throats - if the cotton has some reddish color on it, or actual worms you will know you have gapes. I don't know if they are passed in the poo like other worms. You may also want to put "Gape Worms," in the search box and see all that comes up.

If it isn't gapeworms you may affect what they do have now, as it would delay proper treatment. I wouldn't advise doing both at the same time.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by