1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ElPolloGuy, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ElPolloGuy

ElPolloGuy New Egg

Oct 14, 2015
    Hello all!

My name is Scott, I live in San Diego, CA and I am a new chicken owner and member to this site although Ive been coming here for advice for a few weeks. My 4 girls are about 2-1/2 months old now. They are getting big and I'm worried the coop may not be big enough. They love it when I let them out to run in the yard but I worry about predators like hawks and coyotes. I'm thinking about building a larger fenced in area for them to have free access to all the time. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I'm happy to be part of this community!
    Cheers,
    Scott

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC, Scott! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens. You may want to check out the coops section above - it showcases many sizes, shapes, and types - some folks document their build with descriptions and reasons WHY they added a feature or two.

If you check out predator threads you can gain some insight in preventing some of their attacks and also their MO's.

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird inside the coop excluding nest boxes and roosts. 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. It's best to have the birds locked up at night in the coop to give some protection from night predators - especially owls, who don't care if you have a fence or not. Chickens don't like to move around in the dark - so outside they would be sitting ducks for any predator with no witnesses to their attacks.

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Scott, [​IMG]

A covered run could solve your worries about keeping your birds safe from predators while they are outside the coop. Make it as large as you can, tall enough you can stand up in it and add some things to keep the chickens busy and happy (a place to dust bathe, a roost, waterer, etc.). Have a closable chicken door from the coop directly into the run and a people door on the outside of the run to make things easier for everyone. You'll also want a secure lock on the door to keep out unwanted visitors.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  6. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    HELLO! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. ChickenJay203

ChickenJay203 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ElPolloGuy

ElPolloGuy New Egg

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to build a very large run (since I have the space and want my girls to be happy). I think I will need to expand the coop when they get a little larger. My store bought coop I have now is only about 6 square feet so sounds way too tight for 4 grown hens. Wish I found BYC before I got started but Hey I'm learning as I go.

Where I live the ground is pretty much just dirt. Do I need to put anything for the floor of the run or is dirt ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by