Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jebnaveb, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Jebnaveb

Jebnaveb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2015
    So Cal
    Hi fellow chicken lovers, I am completely new to keeping chickens and cannot believe the fun they are bringing with their own personalities. I bought four Chickens at 10 weeks old in august, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Buff Orpingtons, first discrepancy was one of the Buffs turned out to be an Easter Egger, few weeks later decided it was a Rooster. Well that was ok we can keep Roosters. Fast forward and turns out the Reds are both Roosters! Question is is my beloved Hetti a Rooster too? I am hoping someone can please tell me not! I have uploaded a couple of pictures and would appreciate your opinions, thank you [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but that one is also a rooster :(

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! [​IMG]

Definitely a rooster. Sorry.

4. Jebnaveb

Jebnaveb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2015
    So Cal
    Thanks for confirming, I started having my doubts this week, he is such a friendly bird and follows me around everytime I go outside, so I guess I will have to try and rehome them and find myself some hens! How long can I keep them in together, are they likely to start fighting? I do have a chicken tractor so I can separate them. I will keep the buff and try and rehome the rest which is a shame as I have become quite attached to them. I guess I can stop looking for eggs now!

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry for the bad luck! With no hens to fight over they probably won't fight at all. Even my roosters, who have hens, don't fight because they've got the pecking order sorted out and respect it. With yours all having grown up together you're probably fine.

6. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We are glad you joined us!

Lovely bird, but it does look like a rooster to me. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the other members; Hetti is a cockerel. Sorry. :eek:( If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the other members; Hetti is a cockerel. Sorry. :eek:( If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry she is a he. Since it's such a sweet bird if you can keep a roo, I think you should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by