SteveMac

Chirping
May 4, 2016
Salisbury, UK.
Hi all,

I found this site whilst searching for information on different breeds. I bought a coop that had been used for a few weeks and set about finding something to put in it.

We had a drive around and became disappointed with the amount of breeders that had ceased trading but the websites were still active. Anyway, with a little internet searching we found a breeder who keeps about 100 hens, all of which are pure breeds. Off we went to our last stop before the drive home and I'm happy to say, we came away with one Cream Legbar and two Wellsumers. All about 14 weeks old. They settled in really quickly and all come running when we go out to see them, so we're looking forward to some happy times with them.

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap
Nice breeds you have there but not ones I have kept before. Please do pop by the UK thread if you get chance, the link is in my ssignature.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

An update: we have now bought a 3m X 3m tubular steel run. This should arrive Monday or Tuesday and once it's erected they will have plenty of room for foraging and running around in safety. As we have 5 cats, 3 dogs and feed the local foxes and badgers every night they need a little extra security.
1f606.png
1f600.png

An update: we have now bought a 3m X 3m tubular steel run. This should arrive Monday or Tuesday and once it's erected they will have plenty of room for foraging and running around in safety. As we have 5 cats, 3 dogs and feed the local foxes and badgers every night they need a little extra security.
1f606.png
1f600.png

I have the tubular steel runs too ~

If you have foxes and badgers please make sure to bury the wire and add extra around the bottom as they will dig and dig and dig untill they get into your run.
I would also make sure you lock your birds up in the coop on a night including nest box lids. Foxes and badgers are very determined when they get a sniff of a chicken. I've learnt this the hard way and lost all my birds In the past to a fox. It got through the perimeter fence, through the run fence and broke into my coop and killed them all. Please be predator aware it's heart breaking to find all your birds dead in a morning.

Thanks for the advice. I have some stronger stuff to put in front of the chicken wire which they will not chew through and fully intend to bury the netting too. I have erected the frame and door but am waiting for the rain to clear before cutting the wire. The coop is protected with hasp and staples on all doors and lids, with small carabiners used to secure them. Our dogs who have lived with free range hens before always let us know if there is something happening outside, but I would much prefer to go down the prevention route. Thanks again for your concern.

Back
Top Bottom