Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SteveMac, May 4, 2016.

1. SteveMac

SteveMac Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Salisbury, UK.
    Hi all,

I found this site whilst searching for information on different breeds. I bought a coop that had been used for a few weeks and set about finding something to put in it.

We had a drive around and became disappointed with the amount of breeders that had ceased trading but the websites were still active. Anyway, with a little internet searching we found a breeder who keeps about 100 hens, all of which are pure breeds. Off we went to our last stop before the drive home and I'm happy to say, we came away with one Cream Legbar and two Wellsumers. All about 14 weeks old. They settled in really quickly and all come running when we go out to see them, so we're looking forward to some happy times with them.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, SteveMac, and welcome to BYC. Good luck with your new flock.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap
    Nice breeds you have there but not ones I have kept before. Please do pop by the UK thread if you get chance, the link is in my ssignature.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. SteveMac

May 4, 2016
    Salisbury, UK.
    Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. I will drop by when I've had the chance for a proper look around.

Steve

:D :D

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Steve and welcome to BYC.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Steve, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. SteveMac

May 4, 2016
    Salisbury, UK.
    An update: we have now bought a 3m X 3m tubular steel run. This should arrive Monday or Tuesday and once it's erected they will have plenty of room for foraging and running around in safety. As we have 5 cats, 3 dogs and feed the local foxes and badgers every night they need a little extra security. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I have the tubular steel runs too ~

[​IMG]

If you have foxes and badgers please make sure to bury the wire and add extra around the bottom as they will dig and dig and dig untill they get into your run.
    I would also make sure you lock your birds up in the coop on a night including nest box lids. Foxes and badgers are very determined when they get a sniff of a chicken. I've learnt this the hard way and lost all my birds In the past to a fox. It got through the perimeter fence, through the run fence and broke into my coop and killed them all. Please be predator aware it's heart breaking to find all your birds dead in a morning.

10. SteveMac

May 4, 2016
    Salisbury, UK.
    Thanks for the advice. I have some stronger stuff to put in front of the chicken wire which they will not chew through and fully intend to bury the netting too. I have erected the frame and door but am waiting for the rain to clear before cutting the wire. The coop is protected with hasp and staples on all doors and lids, with small carabiners used to secure them. Our dogs who have lived with free range hens before always let us know if there is something happening outside, but I would much prefer to go down the prevention route. Thanks again for your concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by