Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tigger123, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Tigger123

Tigger123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Hi

I am new here! Just wanted to say hi, I have 4 hybrid hens, they lay every day but have problems with hen pecking, any ideas, have tried spray?

2. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey Tigger123 I am so happy you joined us here us BYC! The best way to solve the pecking problem is to train your hens stop pecking or get out. That way they will eventually stop and wont bother the other chickens anymore. You can also use a strict voice as used in dogs, I have found that works sometimes! I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin
    [​IMG]

3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Tigger123; Glad you joined BYC. You are further along the learning curve than I am. My first flock is 6 weeks old. I am trying to strike a balance between new things to interest them every few days as opposed to so many changes that the chickens experience stress. Today I dumped a heap of grass clippings and garden weeds into the chicken run for fun and frolicking.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I started my chicken adventures with a couple of hybrids and they too were fantastic egg layers :D
    Feather pecking sure can be a pain and my best advice is too give them as much room as possible, increase their protein intake and give them something to entertain them. I've found hanging a whole cabbage up on a string keeps them happy for hours.
    Here is a thread for you to check out with other ideas ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1065115/how-do-you-stop-feather-eating-pecking

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes my chickens like the grass cuttings, but then get bored and start the pecking.

6. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    I have separated the pecked one as she was getting quite bare, I bet when I put her back in they will go for her again.

7. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    I have quite a big run and also put cabbages out which are hung up, I leave pellets and corn occasionally and oyster shell and grit, they seem to get bored still though.

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Do they have the pellets in all the time so they can feed as and when they want to?

9. kay48

kay48 Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    I am a newbie here and the momma of 5 chicks.
    Two Anconas
    Two Red silkie bantams and an
    Amerucuns (sp)?

1 person likes this.
  10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by