Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lady Kythe, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lady Kythe

Lady Kythe New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Hi! I've been lurking this forum for a while and just decided to join. My husband and I have owned silkies for a little while now. We recently had a racoon break-in and lost most of our little ladies.
    I'm looking forward to talking chickens with all of you!

Judith

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG]! I'm sorry to hear about your silkies, they are such fun birds. But thanks for joining us! Always feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm sure anyone would be happy to help.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Judith and welcome to BYC. Sorry about your losses. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    Ct

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Oh nooo...poor silkies. I have some in lock down right now. More silkies on the way for me. Love them...here are a couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Judith. Sorry to hear of your loss. Raccoons are just a horrible predator, strong, persistent, ruthless, clever and have opposable thumbs. Do you know how it breached your coop so you can beef up security?

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! So sorry to hear about your loss. Raccoons are a bit of a pest..

7. Lady Kythe

Lady Kythe New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    They're so adorable! We're picking up four white silkies tonight! We're looking into getting (at least) one of each color, we're slightly obsessed with this breed :)

Do you mind if I ask you where you're from and where did you get your new silkies? I'm in the Ottawa/Gatineau (Canada) region and they're rare. It was a stroke of luck I found the white ones (and had to convince my husband to drive further than we were initially willing to go!).

8. Lady Kythe

Lady Kythe New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    There was no breach in the fence. However, our enclosure is using a wall of our patio as a limit, I have the impression said racoon went from there and into the inclosure. Either way, my husband and I built a 20 or 30 angled wall on top of our existing fence AND will be electrifying the whole thing as well. Hopefully it will be enough to deter racoons to come back.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by