Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrPerkyJ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MrPerkyJ

MrPerkyJ Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    Monterey Indiana
    Hello all,

Don't have chickens yet. We're (DW pretty much just coaches) building our chicken coop. We live on 3 acres in a 1930 farm house. On the property we got a huge corn crib that I've turned one room into the laying room/sleeping room. Will be attaching a screened in room beside the crib with access from a slide door in the wall. Just finished up the hen boxes this evening.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you're building a pretty unique coop...it would be nice to see a photo if you'd care to share. Have you decided what breed of chickens you're going to get?

It's nice to have you here!

3. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

Sounds interesting! I would love to see the finished product. Oh i bet you cant wait for your chickens, its love at first sight! Wether you get adults or chicks i hope you enjoy them.

Best wishes

Mustang

4. MrPerkyJ

MrPerkyJ Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    Monterey Indiana

Here's what it looks like before paint[​IMG]

The backs are in the other room and I built hinged tops so we can get the eggs without actually getting in the coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wall before framing all the boxes[​IMG]

5. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it! Your doing a really good job. How many chickens do you plan on getting? Thats alot of nesting boxes!

6. MrPerkyJ

MrPerkyJ Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    Monterey Indiana
    Not 100% sure yet but thinking about 12 layers and 10 broilers which will bring our total flock back down after butchering lol

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MrPerkyJ [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad that you joined us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by