1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gertiefarnum, Feb 8, 2017.

1. gertiefarnum

gertiefarnum New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    South Carolina
    Hi, my name is Gertie. I bought my first chickens and ducks about 3 years ago. Started off small and now I have 49 chickens, 15 ducks and 2 Nubeans goats. Bought a little incubator and hatched some chicken and duck eggs from my own flock. Just upgraded to one that will hold 94 eggs. Have been selling eggs to co-workers and friend and due to word of mouth I sell out quickly. My chickens are happy roaming freely on 11 acres, all fenced in and the ducks enjoy swimming the 4 acre pond. Our 3 Labs make sure no harm is coming to the flock, but the hawk sometimes gets lucky. We have Auracanas,Black Stars,Rhode Island Reds,Buffington, Barred Rock's, Leghons, and for the ducks we have Giant Pekin, Pekin, Sweet Emily,Cayuga and two others I can not remember the name. Whenever I needed advice and Googled the BackYard Chicken site also came up, so today I decided to join.

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Hi Gertie, welcome to Backyard Chickens! Your setup sounds lovely, my ducks would think they'd gone to heaven if I had a four acre pond. Your flock sounds like a very pretty mix of chickens! Do you have a favorite?

3. gertiefarnum

gertiefarnum New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    South Carolina
    Hi Adalida, what a nice surprise of getting a post already. I really don't have a favorite. I spoil them all.i even cook extra rice and oatmeal. Arranged a pick up of vegatable scraps from our favorite local Chinese Restaurant. Chickens see me with that they come running from nomatter where they are. Where do you call home? I am in South Carolina. Have a great day

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'm in northwest Montana and my birds are getting the fun of dealing with several feet of snow! It's 4 degrees right now. They do a lot better in the cold than I expected when I first got chickens. The ducks love eating snow, they make holes where they burrow their bills down into it, gobbling it up. Here's what their house looked like yesterday before I dug their door open.

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Gertie, Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Great to make your acquaintance, Gertie, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Well, you may have started small but you didn't stay small for long - that's quite an assortment! I wish you well with your critters and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Gertie [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Gertie, it's nice to have you here!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by