1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Twosapair, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Twosapair

Twosapair Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    Hi I just joined recently because one of my ducklings got attacked by a ferret and I'm trying to get some help with the sounds she's making. I can't tell if it's just a painful noise or if she has blood in her lungs. She does have crackles under her skin when I touch them which I think is air the came in from her wounds. It's been three days and she's improving each day but I don't know much about their prey behavior (Hiding injuries) I'm waiting for approval to post the link to YouTube videos I have of her and get information on how I know if I should give her penicillin shots or not.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Twosapair [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope the folks on the ER Forum are able to help you out and your duckling makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if the ferret punctured one of her lungs. I hope the ER folks can assist you.[​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Hope your duck is okay! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. Twosapair

Twosapair Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    She's still alive and acting better, no ones answered on the ER thread. Still not sure if I should give her the penicillin. She has lost feathers/fluff in the bite areas and her wings look purple when wet, plus she looks like she's molting?? The other duck didnt have to recover so he's already growing full feathers and not patchy like she is. I can't tell
    If their wing skin is the same color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by