Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken opey, Apr 17, 2017.

1. chicken opey

chicken opey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2017
    Central MS
    Hey! My children surprised me with 6 baby chicks for Easter! I am excited about raising chickens. We always had chickens when I was young. I was wandering any advice on what to keep handy for emergencies and sickness in the chickens. I have 3 red and 3 black. Do y'all have any suggestions? What do you keep handy?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chicken opey, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Chickens, with proper living conditions, the correct food and water, are really quite healthy. But, things do happen. Here's a link from the Learning Center that talks about some chicken maladies, including what to keep in a chicken first aid kit: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens
    In fact, the articles in the Learning Center will serve as a great refresher for you as you re-enter the wonderful world of chickens!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best wishes to you and your flock! [​IMG]

3. chicken opey

Apr 17, 2017
    Central MS
    Thanks. We are all excited.

4. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hey, chicken opey! [​IMG]! Glad you could join! If you have any questions, ask anytime!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chicken opey [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. chicken opey

Apr 17, 2017
    Central MS
    Thanks.
    I will try to post pictures soon. As far as we know, the lil chicks are about a weeks old. That gives me plenty of time to get the coop in order! I thought it was funny at our Tractor Supply store it said that the chickens were not PETS. I told them they didn't know my children. They hold them, talk to them and love them. Maybe in the future when I build another coop, I will have the white ones that are good for eating. I will have to keep the children away as they will die when it comes to eat them!

8. chicken opey

Apr 17, 2017
    Central MS
    [​IMG]
    My girls!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaaw [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by