Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nanabull, Mar 12, 2018.

1. nanabull

nanabull In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? shipping today from cackle 15

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    (3) What breeds do you have?
    ordered black astralourp, RI red, RI white, barred rocks

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? FB

Hello I am new. Babies will be here in just a few days. I think I have all I need other then I heard something about vitamins?

2. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Always exciting waiting for the new babies to arrive!

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

I've never worried about any kind of vitamin supplement whether buying or hatching chicks. I just start them on chick starter, and I've never had a problem.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Plip, Joeschooks, TwoCrows and 2 others like this.
  4. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers 1.jpg

drumstick diva, Teila, Plip and 5 others like this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on your soon to arrive babies! :jumpy No I wouldn't add vitamins, their Starter feed will have all the nutrients they need. However you might use probiotics in their water. I raise all my chicks on them from day 1. Really jump starts the immune system and aids in good digestion.

Good luck with your new little ones and welcome to our roost! :)

7. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frow Hello and welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy the site!

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new flock

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    :welcomeSo happy you could join us! There is tons of awesome information and amazingly nice people to help you along the way!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under nanabull :frow Welcome! Very exciting! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Please do check out the Topic of the Week discussions Pork Pie mentioned. I have found these to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining. These two may be of particular interest to you at this stage:
    Topic/Question of the week - Brooding and supplementing heat for chicks
    Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

TwoCrows, 007Sean and drumstick diva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: