1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wmcginnis34, Apr 20, 2018.

1. wmcginnis34

wmcginnis34 Hatching

Apr 19, 2018
    Hey everyone! This will be my first time raising chickens and I was curious as to what you recommend I get for my chicks before I order them! I'm researching all I can to prepare but any advice would be appreciated!

We live in the Bellevue, NE and just applied for our hen permit where we're allowed 7 hens in our backyard!

LaurEliz likes this.
  2. LaurEliz

LaurEliz Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Illinois
    My Coop
    Welcome!

What I typically get for new babies is food/water containers, chick starter feed, electrolytes to mix into their water, some sort of bedding (wood shavings work well for me), and a heat bulb. I'd get a thermometer specifically for monitoring the temp. for the chicks too. You're going to need some sort of brooder. I personally use an old rabbit cage that I line the bottom and sides of with cardboard. I stick old newspapers on the bottom too, so when I clean up, I can just roll up all the mess and throw it away, and then add new newspapers and wood shavings.

I am not sure what stores you have in your area, but I find all of the things I need at a local Rural King.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: