Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Patricia Jane, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Hi everyone. New to BYC. Living in California. Look forward to great conversasion and a new learning experience. I am in the process of building a coop. I've been interested in chickens for about a yr. now but started doing a lot of research for abt. 3 mos. ago to make sure I get everything right. I am interested in getting about 6 girls. Possible breeds, Wyandottes, Jersey Giants, Plymouth Rock, Welsummer, Brahmas, and Delaware. i want breeds that are docile, friendly easily handled as I have a 2 1/2 yr old grandaughter that I want to introduce alittle farm life too. Anyone have specific breeds they would suggest? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Patti

2. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Welcome to BYC from Pennsylvania!!

This is a very addicting site that you will love!!

3. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Quote:[​IMG]

What part of cali are you from? There are many Californians here. Be sure to subscribe to the "Bay Area BYCers" thread. Alot of us hang out there. Also look at the breeds tab. They have all the breeds and sub breeds broken down with temperment being one of the descriptives. Good luck with your new flock!

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] My buff orpingtons and my Easter eggers are very docile and one (EE) loves to be held and petted. Good luck on your preparations!

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    hi and [​IMG]

I am partial to Golden Comets myself (hint hint) very friendly, follow me around the yard for treats and petting.... [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You cant go wrong with Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. Mine are hatchery chickens and jump up on my lap when I sit outside in a lawn chair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by