Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenesis536, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I got 6 chicks, but one is a rooster... in my area it seems no one wants one. He is 12 weeks old. I'm sorry about not reading through all of the posts, but can someone tell me - if we can't find someone else to take him before he starts crowing - when he does start making a lot of noise - what can I do? I only have 6 chickens, I'm new at this. If I have to cull him (but don't plan to do it often and do not have regular culling supplies), can you provide instructions on what I can do to and when I should do it? I grew up with people chopping their heads off and the bodies running around... not what I want. If I have to kill this one, how can I do it humanely and have it be edible? I can't believe I'm considering it, but at this point I need to know my options and be prepared.

I am not sure yet if I am capable of doing this, but at the same time I need to determine based on what the instructions are if I can. I live in the city, and this is not something I plan to do often. How do you do it? Where do you put the blood, etc?

I have had no responses from people to adopt him, but I know that soon he will crow and I have to do something.

Thank you for your advice.

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I would try posting on craigs list first. Someone may be looking for a rooster for their flock or for processing. Either way, its an alternative to doing the deed yourself. Make sure you state how old he is and what breed. Pics help when you are trying to get rid of something. If you have to do the deed yourself, look for the thread on the forum about processing chickens. It can be done in a manner that is different than what you and I grew up seeing.

[​IMG] and welcome to the world of chicken addiction!!!

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    first I would post here and on craigs list you may be able to rehome him.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, if you can't find a home for him then go to the Meat Birds ETC section of this forum. There are some stickies at the top of the forum that have some great info on how to process your own birds. They are in-depth, detailed and even have photos of the whole process. Processing your animals is not as hard as you would think. If you can't keep roosters and can't find a home for him, then you may find this a reasonable alternative.

Good luck.

5. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Yeah, I really don't want to do anything like that... he's so pretty I just couldn't imagine killing him and eating him. I have had him posted on CL for a week and also on here and on a local backyard chickens forum. I'm just worried he'll start crowing and I don't have a place for him to go.

6. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Well, I spoke too soon I guess. Someone emailed me that has 10 hens including 2 blue marans (mine is a Cuckoo Marans), so he's coming by later to come get him.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by