1. ochomme

ochomme New Egg

Feb 3, 2008
    I have never had chickens before, but would absolutely love it. I'm a country person at heart living in the middle of Dallas. I have a large double lot with a perfect place to put a chicken house, but I think I would want them to roam loose when I am home. Across the front of my property I have a 4 foot iron fence with 4 inches between the bars. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether the chickens could get out of that or not. I don't know how high chickens can jump/fly. Thanks!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*WELCOME!! and yes, they could probably could squeeze thru the fence--( easily as pullets ) and could DEFINITELY fly it. Mine sometimes just jumps about half that and she's got a bum wing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Are you interested in standard or bantam chickens?

When they are young, they will definately fit through the 4 inch spaces. Most banties will have no trouble clearing a 4' fence and some standards are also pretty good fliers.

You may have to clip a wing to keep them in the yard.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

4. JSC

JSC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Union, Mo.
    [​IMG]

5. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Have you check the ordinance for poultry in the city of Dallas. If its allowed I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction on free range (not coop up / or pinned up). Most likely will need a small coop and run set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by