Discussion in 'Quail' started by TriciaB, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TriciaB

TriciaB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    lincolnton, NC
    I want to start raising quail. I was wondering how they do outside in winter? I got plans for a quail cage from an old "Home Food Systems" book my mom had...printed in 1981. So I was really just wondering how they would do in the winter outside and how I could help keep the tempature constant? would a heat lamp do?

BTW I am interested in red tibetan and tuxedo coturnix quail, If there is anyone in washington who has some chicks or adults for sale.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Coturnix, or most quail really, will be fine down to around 0 with no heat. But they must be able to get out of the wind, and stay dry. 4 or more birds help too. I and many others raise quail on wire (think rabbit hutch) all winter long. During extreme cold, I tarp the sides to block the wind and snow. A heat light should only be used with the very young or short term during the worse conditions of winter. It is harder on the "outside birds" to supplement heat off and on. Even triggering weird molts ect.... Add light with a LED X-mas lights on a timer and your birds will continue to lay in colder conditions than you'd think. Keeping constant water thawed is the biggest challenge. Good luck, Bill

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I am using a card board box with straw and put in corner of the pen during winter so they can hide from the wind. If you are going to build a pen, just have a section cover with wood so the quail can hide in the winter months.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Listen to Fat Daddy, he's not steering you wrong, great advice right there! ....cardboard boxes and snow don't fair well together...you'll get wet and sick quail.

Do you have an incubator for eggs? I got the eggs your looking for, but don't mail live birds...PM me if interested.

5. TriciaB

Sep 10, 2012
    lincolnton, NC
    I plan on building a 7 ft x 3 ft cage with a 3 ft x 3 ft box at one end. thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  6. TriciaB

Sep 10, 2012
    lincolnton, NC
    I bought a still-air incubator, one of the 100 quail egg ones. I moved to NC so I will have to check to be sure it didnt get damaged but Im sure it faired well. After I find a job, here in a month or two, i will definitly be looking for eggs. Again red tibetan and black tux colors perfered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by