1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kimiggins, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kimiggins

kimiggins New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hello, I'm new to chicken keeping. I've had a lot of help from BYC. I wanted to say hello to all you seasoned chicken folks. I do have an issue with one of my hens. She's a little over a year old "partridge rock", I've got 4 of them and it's hard to tell them apart. The other day they got into a separate part of the coop that's insulated with white styrofaom boards and ate alot of it. The chickens learned this from my turkeys, who are coocoo for it... Anyways, I found her yesterday in the coop by herself and just sitting on the ground. She was WAY to easy to catch, and her vent was caked with green stuff. She's been having bright green liquid poop. I searched BYC, and concluded it's a gut imbalance. I've got her inside now in a crate and I'm giving her an organic yogurt, and a mixture probiotics and electrolytes. I also have given her one drop of neomycin. She's eaten a little and was drinking this morning. I've also given her a bath, which she seemed to enjoy. I'm not sure how long this intestinal imbalance will last or if there is anything else I can do. So, if anyone has some info for me, me and my little lady would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
    Kim

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I've heard that styrofoam is like popcorn to chickens - apparently it doesn't seem harm to them. Do you think the hen may have something else going on. I hate to mention it but, you can search for the - I guess they call it" poop chart" which shows various droppings and offers a diagnosis [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012