Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PickledPixie, Mar 23, 2013.

1. PickledPixie

PickledPixie New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi!
    I'm thinking about getting some chickens, mainly for pets, with the added benefit of having fresh eggs. I am in the very prelimiary planning stages. I'm finding out if I am even allowed to own chickens in my city or in my HOA. I've written a few emails, and I'm here on BYC to learn about the basics of chicken care, how to get started, etc.

I live in the Chicagoland area, at least two towns around me DO allow chickens, and I'm on the outskirts of town, so I am hoping that I will be allowed to have a few hens. I don't even know where to begin as far as learning about them! I know how to handle chickens and I know chicken anatomy and their basic life cycle as I'm a vet tech, but I don't know anything about husbandry yet!
    Where do I begin? I don't want to get my hopes up as my HOA may not even allow me to own chickens, but I want to get prepared. I know I'll need a coop and a run. It gets cold here in Chicago in the winter, what is the best kind of coop? What is the best kind of feed? Do chickens need a lot of veterinary care? I have two dogs who will be sharing the backyard with the chickens. (Everyone will be separated or closely supervised, don't worry.) Is there a breed of chicken that is better with dogs and kids? (I also have a 4 year old.)

I have been perusing the forums, but there's just so much information I need a guiding hand. =) Thanks so much in advance!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, PickledPixie, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Hope you are able to get chickens! A great first place to start is the Learning Center - it will show you what you need to know to care and maintain your chickens! Good luck and have fun!!

Below is the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's really a matter of what dogs will get along with chickens, than the other way around.

5. PickledPixie

PickledPixie New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    That makes sense. I've been trying to decide if my big dumb lab will be scared of the chickens, as he is afraid of his own shadow, or if he'll be TOO interested in them. I'm still trying to plan out the best way for the chickens and dogs to share the backyard.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by