newbie!

daisybennett

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013
fla.
im a 35 yr old married mother of 6 awesome kids,and an uncontrollable animal love, my hubby brought me home 3 baby ducks,then we got 3 more, im fairly new to ducks and can use all the info i can get. we are keeping them as pets and hoping they will eventually breed. we made them a pen with a pond,hoping its enough space for them. the fence surrounding them is only 3 foot high so i fig if they weren't happy they'd jump or fly over. so far they seem to be healthy and happy. 5 of the ducks will run to me and eat out of my hand but one does not.:( im am working on trying to change that with treats. hopefully it works.

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like you've got a great start! What type of ducks are they? You may want to consider a house or covered pen you can lock them into at night to protect them from predators. Most domestic breeds of duck cannot fly.

try giving them some peas or meal worms from your hand, you'll win over the straggler in no time! I would doubt that your ducks can fly, unless he got you mallards, if they're domestic breeds then they won't fly..and ducks don't really jump..lol I have a pen outside as well..but mine free range most of the time..really the pen is only for the youngsters that i've hatched and are too young to go out in the lake on their own until they get their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom