Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debnphil, Aug 20, 2013.

1. debnphil

debnphil New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Hi we are Debbie and Phill and have been toying with the idea of having chickens,well after visiting a garden centre fell in love with week old Bantan Pekin chicks couldn't resist them and got 2. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Start with the Learning Center and fill free to ask any questions you need too. Welcome to the site, I'm glad you joined us!

3. debnphil

debnphil New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    One question the garden centre couldn't tell us was whether they needed heat lamp? Is this needed as they so young?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Yes but it will depend on your temperature. Where are they, inside or outside? If it's cold where you are then get a higher watt bulb, 125 is what I used, my chicks freaked out if I tried to give them a 250 one. But when I had them inside I only used a normal 70ish watt bulb. Check out the link I provided, it will answer a lot of the typical questions :)

6. debnphil

debnphil New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thank you chirpy chick I have them inside at moment. Won't put them out till much bigger.

7. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Then I'd just go with a normal watt bulb. They need warmth and no drafts until they are feathered out. Some people use a thermometer but I think it's a bit pointless. If they are huddled under the lamp then they are too cold, if they won't go under the light then it's too hot. If they are spread out nicely throughout the brooder, up walking around, happily chirping and eating/drinking then you're good to go. And don't light the entire brooder, just part of it, they need to be able to get away from the light if needed.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chicks.

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    You are off to a good start BYC has a lot of great info. [​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, debnphil, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I hope you find BYC to be a rewarding experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by