Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trichickie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. trichickie

trichickie New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Hi,

My name is Missy and I'm new to the world of chickens. My next store neighbor moved and I took over his 4 chickens.

I have no idea what kind of chickens I have. I've looked at pictures of different breeds and I think I might have this one or that, but I'm not sure. I'll figure it out one day. Need to send in some pictures, so I can get help on that.

My 4 chickens:

Toby -she is 3 years old. A big golden girl. I actually just sent in a post regarding her sudden behavior of hanging out in the coop all day. I thought she was laying an egg, but except for a few times that I disturbed her, she has been in the coop all day. Is this considered brooding? The new ones have just started laying their eggs?

Chick Chick aka Fred -she is 2 years old. She is black and has shades of green in the sunlight.

Amanda -she is not a year and just started laying this past week. I think she is laying blue eggs. She is orange and has a fluffy head.

Spot -she also has just started laying this past week. She is black and white.

Besides the chickens, I have 2 indoor cats and 3 dogs. A complete animal house.

I'm excited to be part of the backyard chicken community. The original owner of the chickens told me about this site.

Whoo hoo!!!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]without seeing them I am guessing Toby is a buff orpington. She sounds like she is in "broody mode," and wants to hatch (fertile) eggs. If she has some or you could get some elsewhere you could put them under her .

Chick Chick aka Fred, may be a black australorp and Amanda possibly an Easter Egger. I'm drawing a blank on the black & white one. If you could post clear, closeups photos on "What gender or breed is this," you should be able to get more definitive answers.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

5. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Welcome from east central Indiana! What a great inheritance that's a lot of fun. Best of luck to you!

6. trichickie

trichickie New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    thanks! I'll try to take some pictures and send.
    I'm worried about my brooding girl. I have read lot's of ways to break her out of it. One is putting her in a rabbit hutch...I don't have one. I was thinking of putting her in a cat carrier (bigger one) during the day, under a tree so that the other 3 will still lay eggs. Thoughts?

Thanks..any help would be appreciated! I don't want her to get sick. She came out today with my urging and ate and drank...but then went back in.

M

7. ClickerChick

ClickerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It's completely fine that she's broody - nothing to worry about. Hens go several days without ever leaving the nest box and hatch out dozens of clutches just fine. Unless you break her of it, or give her some fertile eggs, she will stay broody for about a month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello, Missy, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by