Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Anna6, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes and no. It has been a long time since I had chickens and I am a newbie to a gander, White Chinese goose. In the past I owned chickens on and off from a silky to Rhode Island Reds. I have incubated and hatched eggs and also raised 25 Rhode Islands Red from a straight run mail order. This was all 20 yrs or so ago and I feel like I have to relearn everything.

We dug up the incubator and bought a heating lamp. I am going back and forth between what I want to get. My DH was sure I should get Rhode Island Reds again and I also thought I would get just one type of chickens but now I am leaning more towards a little of everything.

I tend to favor the dual purpose heavy breeds but I think I should get a couple of Silkies for my 8 yr old twins. Also we picked up these roosters and a gander.

Now I think I want more geese also but am undecided which ones would be the nicest for letting run loose in the back yard. The Chinese gander is a good boy but he is very young still and I read they can get protective and aggressive as they get older.

I am checking Craigslist SoCal all the time to see if there is anything in our area. That is how I got the roosters and gander.

I am also waiting on some Dark Marran eggs, other Marran eggs and possibly Silky eggs to buy from people that live close by. I was not planning to incubate originally but the cost of some of the chicks or adults are a bit pricey and funds are limited.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

I just have three chickens, Black Jersey Giants, and they are all roosters.
    One Chinese gander.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was googling on the internet and found this board.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

quilting

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have a herd of Nubian goats, one tiny dog, an African Grey parrot and 2 parakeets. Currently we are also building a chicken coop and just finished a gander house. We are also debating putting the chickens in with the goats and or the gander. Does anyone have experience with that?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Anna6

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Thank you for your warm informative welcome Kelsie!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't put the chickens(hens???) in with the gander. With no girlfriend, he is apt to harm or kill the chickens trying to breed them. They may fare better with goats.

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello and welcome

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] good luck with your flock!

8. Anna6

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Hmm yes i read that. so far so good but for now they are in the back yard. Hahahaha We live on acreage so I can put him some where else as I will the chickens. Just wait till they all hit puberty right? I do not think I can secure a girlfriend for him. Seems there are a lot of males around.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Anna, welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by