Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by organiclove, Feb 13, 2014.

1. organiclove

organiclove Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2014
    Hello!
    Newbie here! Very excited to be a part of the group.
    I live in Maryland and am looking to raise a small flock of three hens for egg laying.
    I have a beautiful property on the eastern shore where I could give them a wonderful life.
    I love the idea of having my own eggs but am excited to have them for pets as well.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    I am looking for very friendly hens that have longevity!

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. There are many good breeds of chicken that will lay plenty of eggs and make great pets. I recommend checking out the Breeds section of this website (https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds); there, you will find information on different breeds and from people who have personally owned them. For information on coops, feed, etc., look at the information at the Learning Center-- its a great place to start. And, if you have any specific questions that need answering, feel free to post the questions on any of the forums. Good luck with your chicken adventures!

1 person likes this.
  4. Hi! Welcome to BYC! Three hens is a good number, especially for pets. You will get about eighteen eggs or so per week. I would recommend Buff orpingtons. They are very friendly birds.The best way to get chickens, in my opinion, is to raise them from chicks, so this spring pick some up from your feed store, or order some online--mypetchicken has a three chick shipping minimum or more, depending on where you live. Also, I would recommend using wood shavings for bedding versus straw in your coop.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  7. organiclove

organiclove Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2014
    Thank you! Is it safe to ship the little ones? I would imagine it could be traumatizing...

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Shipping can be a bit rough on chicks and sometimes they don't all make it. But if you order them to arrive when your temps are no longer really cold so if they are stuck over night on a postal truck they don't chill, then ordering them is usually not a problem. I personally can't take the stress of having them shipped. LOL My small local feed store carries chicks every spring and so I let the feed store handle the incoming shipped chicks. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by