1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by likeduh65, Mar 8, 2014.

1. likeduh65

likeduh65 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi, All I am new to this site, I'm very excited in meeting everyone.I live in fl and I have 3 grown children and also have 4 loving grand children, that are very excited about grandma having chickens. They the grandchildren are excited in helping building the new family members a home. ( grandchildren want to get to the painting) I have just gotten 4 new baby chicks 2 are 3 weeks and the other 2 are 3 days old ( I do not have them together yet. Hope to be able to put together soon?
    I will be starting to build a coop for them, I have never built one before but gonna give it a try. I could use any help full tips if anyone would like to send them. I will try to post pictures as I go and the end result.
    I will be attempting to build it 3x4 or 4x4 not sure which will be better for four ladies? I will attempt to build the yard in front of coop of 6x6, but they will also be able to run in my over size yard when dogs are not out in yard.
    Nice to have found this site.
    Thank you
    Chicken grandma!

2. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG] hi good luck with your chickens and have fun.

3. RIRSHAWN

RIRSHAWN New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi and welcome!! I just joined today also. There must be somewhere or someone on this site that can tell you how many square feet for the chickens. Good luck!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Coops section for ideas on Coops and Runs, https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and the Coop/Run design forum for input https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance The general rule of thumb is 4 square feet in the coop and 10 in the run for space, bigger is usually better, but it really depends on a lot of things, here is a great BYC Learning Center article that helps to figure out how much space you need for your birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need Good Luck with your chicken projects!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC good luck with your flock and coop construction.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by