Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robbyslady, Nov 20, 2014.

1. robbyslady

robbyslady New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    SE Texas
    Hi all! I am new here and just starting to learn. We do not have any chickens yet but really looking forward to starting next spring! Wanting to learn all I can so I will be prepared!

I thank all of you in advance for your wisdom!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always wise to do research and be prepared before launching into any endeavor. If you haven't done so already, our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center is a great place to begin your research. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

1 person likes this.
  3. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    Welcome to BYC, Tons of Great Info on the site and everyone seems nice. I'm sure you will be able to learn a lot!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. robbyslady

robbyslady New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    SE Texas
    Thanks! Reading all I can at the moment....lol. No idea on breeds yet. We are looking to raise for eggs and meat.

6. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Thanks so much for joining. I absolutely love to see the research come before the box of chicks. Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. If sheer egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars). They are hardy and friendly, egg laying hybrids. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breed and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently laying more than 300 eggs per hen per year. For meat production, Cornish cross is the way to go. With their amazing growth rate, they are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait much longer than that, they begin to develop all sorts of major health problems due to their abnormal growth rate. If you want a good dual purpose breed, I would recommend Black Australorps. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock. :eek:)

8. robbyslady

robbyslady New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    SE Texas
    Michael....thanks so very much for the info! My brain is on major overload at the moment! LOL I wanted to read and learn all I can before jumping in to starting so that I do it right!

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    LOL! There is a lot to learn, isn't there?

10. robbyslady

robbyslady New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    SE Texas
    Oh yes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by