Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shimin, Feb 17, 2015.

1. shimin

shimin New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Stagecoach nv
    Hello everybody, my name is mike and I have been lurking for a few weeks . I don't have any chickens yet but i talked my wife into giving me the green light( thanks to my 3 kids that want chickens too lol)I will start off with 3-5 as soon as I save enough scrap wood to build a coop lol should only take a few more weeks (I have a construction company so I'm saving scraps trying to keep the wallet padded )im from riverside ca but I just moved to stagecoach nv , about a hour from reno . I Love eggs, chicken meat(we eat chicken 4-6 nights a week) ,and pets so chickens fit in our family great . I would like to say thank you to this forum for everything I have learned already and I look forward to meeting everybody . I do have a question , what breed would make the best pet for my kids(4,5,9)? The first few we get are for my kids and to warm my wife up to chicken as she is VERY scared of all birds . Thank you for your time, oh I got 2 dummies books from the store so I have a extra GFM if somebody wants it let me know

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chicken eggs and meat are sure yummy! I hope you can get some chickens! If your wife is scared of them being mean and you have young kids, the best docile, affectionate breeds include silkies, buff orpingtons, black australorps and cochins.

Our learning center is also packed full of helpful info to help get you started
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Here are two other good links to check out too
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-pick-the-right-chicken-breeds-for-you
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Get your kids (and wife) silkies. They are docile, make great pets, and since they do not look like regular chickens, I don't think your wife would be afraid of them. They are balls of fluff and people often mistake them for little fluffy dogs. No Joke. My friend had a silkie that loved riding in the car with her head out the window. It was common for someone to follow her- pull up alongside the car and ask what kind of dog she had. They could not believe it was a chicken.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in our avatar) loves our chickens. With children I would recommend going with one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets) such as Silkies, Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, or Faverolles. If high egg production is important, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

The best pets to begin with would probably be Silkies, Cochins, Orpingtons, or Brahmas. All those breeds have well-deserved reputations for being tame, especially the Silkies and Cochins.[​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Many breeds would probably work well for you. If you want birds that are both docile/pet like, as well as productive egg layers, I would recommend Orpingtons and Wyandottes. If egg production is less of a concern, some excellent breed choices would be Silkies, Cochins, and Brahmas. Those breeds tend to be very gentle, with good personalities.

Good luck with your coop building and future chickens! Raising chickens is a lot of fun. [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by