Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rocks3flowers, Feb 18, 2015.

1. rocks3flowers

rocks3flowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    I grew up on a farm and although we had chickens along with about every other farm animal. we only collected eggs in the hen house. they were wild for the most part. when I moved out I started a small fock of my own. wild ones from my farm turned out I didn't have a clue what I was doing the next spring all are hens went missing long story short we ended up with 60 baby chicks. they were so wild after a few years we desided to get rid of them all we kept are mated duck pair and lottery dumped the chickens at my family farm. now after reeding on how to have proper egg layers and all the care they need we are starting over. so yea I'm a newbie. we have ordered 25 chicks in the mail and I will be getting them the end of the week to sometime next week. a fav. of mine is the plymouth rock so we got a rock colecetion. I ordered white rocks buff rock and Plymouth rocks. 6 femails of each and a male. I have read every thing for the arrival home to the first 6 weeks of so. I have one major consern I got a male of each breed for breeding only. I don't want feral eggs. could I keep my 3 rosters together with there own area in the coop and the pen? my chickens are going to be duel purpose meat and eggs. on a side note I plan to hatch flower chickens from a local woman and that's the story behing my name rocks3flowers.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    I am not sure I am understanding you quite right - you bought the males for breeding, but you don't want fertile (thinking that is what you meant by feral?) eggs? Is it a concern about eating fertilized eggs or something else? If you are wanting to maintain bachelor quarters you need to have them setup out of sight of the hens - so in a separate coop/run that is located away - penning them up together alongside the hens is going to be asking for trouble.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO
    [​IMG]
    Now I have a few questions.
    What are flower chickens???
    What do you consider wild chickens???
    lottery dumped the chickens at my family farm. ???
    As to keeping your roosters separate. If they grow up together, from young, then maybe there wont be too much fighting. You will see.
    Wishing you best.[​IMG]

4. rocks3flowers

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    Swedish flower chickens! they are newer breed and a local farmer has a pure show breed. they are beautiful. wild chickens. I mean what I say they were wild they didn't like people they payed eggs all over they ran off made nest and I thought something ate them they roasted in the pine tree right out my window and crowed from 2 am till the sun came up. we ended up catching them all when they came back to eat with the baby's and kept them pend for 3 months in hopes they would learn to roost in the coop. but they ran off again when they free ranged. sorry it's ment to say littarly but my spellings so bad spell check doesn't know what I'm spelling lol. I hope the roosters get along because I'd like to have a hen set to cycle my breeds and chickens. over $100 to order them. but I wanted baby's to start in hopes I can raise they to lay in the coop I'd like to free range my hens.

5. rocks3flowers

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    I want to breed and let hens set but only with the roster of the breed. we have are coop and pen devided because we had ducks and chickens. I plan to let the hens free range and hope they roost and lay in the coop. but I rather only have males devided. my uncle keeps his in small pens by them selfs I don't like that and hope I dont have to but we have hard winters and can't see having 3 different pens for every roster. I am a new bie Iv read about the care for the baby's but haven't worked out the coop and pen set up. really thought I could get some help and advice

6. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    All sounds GREAT. now you can get a lot of information by going to top of page and click on the links, LEARNING CENTER. read up what you can. CANT FIND IT??? then post your questions here. There are sooooo many peeps willing to help.
    For my and other peeps interests ........ can you post some pictures of those WILD CHICKENS if you have.? And some of the SWEDISH FLOWER. I really would like to see them. A breed I would also be interested in getting. THANKS>>
    [​IMG]

7. rocks3flowers

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    I have videos of my wild chickens somewhere if I can find them. I posted it to face book a few years ago my friends got a kick. didn't believe it till they saw it. 16 roosters 1branch 3am the rosters were just learning to crow. I think a lot of you would enjoy it. also we had a Bantom type hen who stole all the chicks and even tryed to steal the baby ducks. she got so mean and pertective we had to make a pen just for her and the chicks by 6 weeks she had 60 baby's I have a pic of her coved some were almost as big as her

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

9. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by