Newbie :)

nychickraising

Hatching
Feb 25, 2015
New York
Hello all! Well to start of I'm 25 years old and I've lived in the suburbs my entire life. Now I fell in love with a country man, and he convinced me to move to the country. I've always wanted to have barnyard animals, so I've decided I want to raise chickens. I'm only in my planning stage right now. I know I want a walk in coop with at least 8 chickens. We have plenty of land, but also have to worry about coyotes. I live in upstate NY, so I'll also have to worry about climate conditions. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. With predators like coyotes around, make sure you use hardware cloth on your coop/run and not chicken wire as there are too many predators (coyotes included) that can either tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth has spared many chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?

Glad you joined the flock. I don't know much about upstate New York but, snow shovels and snow plows are probably a great asset to have. What chicken breeds are you interested in?

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC!
woot.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will definitely want to check out the links that Mountain Peeps has provided for you. Lots of good articles in our learning center on getting started, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your flock happy, healthy and safe from predators.

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Definitely take a look at the links that Mountain Peeps left you. They contain plenty of information for new chicken owners.
smile.png

And, if you can't find information to some of your questions, just ask! We're all here to help in any way we can.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with any future chickens! If you have any questions, just ask--we'll be happy to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom