Newbie :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nychickraising, Feb 25, 2015.

1. nychickraising

nychickraising New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    New York
    Hello all! Well to start of I'm 25 years old and I've lived in the suburbs my entire life. Now I fell in love with a country man, and he convinced me to move to the country. I've always wanted to have barnyard animals, so I've decided I want to raise chickens. I'm only in my planning stage right now. I know I want a walk in coop with at least 8 chickens. We have plenty of land, but also have to worry about coyotes. I live in upstate NY, so I'll also have to worry about climate conditions. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. With predators like coyotes around, make sure you use hardware cloth on your coop/run and not chicken wire as there are too many predators (coyotes included) that can either tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth has spared many chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock. I don't know much about upstate New York but, snow shovels and snow plows are probably a great asset to have. What chicken breeds are you interested in?

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome To BYC! [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC![​IMG]

You will definitely want to check out the links that Mountain Peeps has provided for you. Lots of good articles in our learning center on getting started, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your flock happy, healthy and safe from predators.

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Definitely take a look at the links that Mountain Peeps left you. They contain plenty of information for new chicken owners.[​IMG]

And, if you can't find information to some of your questions, just ask! We're all here to help in any way we can.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with any future chickens! If you have any questions, just ask--we'll be happy to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by