Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickchickuk, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chickchickuk

chickchickuk New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Hi everyone! I've been keeping chickens for a year. Love fresh eggs every day! I have just started to incubate some of our eggs. I had two failed attempts...one with a homemade incubator and the second with a brinsea octogan 10 both still air. Chicks either drowned or shrink wrapped and couldn't hatch out.
    I decided to buy a new brinsea mini advance. I followed the instructions. Humidity was around 40% during incubation, I added a little water to one of the reservoirs then as instructed, filled both up at lockdown (end of day 18)
    First 3 pipped and zipped perfectly, within minutes of each other...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it raised the humidity to high I think for such a small incubator and the last 4 were in trouble. They had all pipped but couldn't zip. SO....I helped them!! One by one. They were all sticky chicks, the last two, were the worst, they just couldn't dry off so I washed them with warm water and dried them with a hair dryer till fluffy. (Found this info in a thread on helping sticky chicks) They were very weak and tired, I put them in brooder (fish tank) under a brinsea Eco glo, and hoped for the best. Woke up to them this morning and they are all doing fine. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

So happy!
    Just set 7 bantam eggs this morning...I don't want a repeat of what happened so any advice on using the mini advance appreciated. What if I lockdown without filling with so much water, as hatched chicks raised humidity anyway, would that help? Should I lockdown later? Say day 19 or when they have internally pipped?
    P.S Thanks for reading [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the hatch!! They are just adorable! Sounds like you did everything right during incubation. What was your lock down humidity level? If it was a bit high to begin with and then these first chicks hatched, it will definitely raise the humidity up more. Generally a humidity of 65% to 70% is a good lock down humidity.

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

3. chickchickuk

chickchickuk New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Thanks....Lockdown was 70%

4. chickchickuk

chickchickuk New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Do you think I should have it a little lower next time??

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the chicks!

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Congratulations on the (mostly) successful hatch! The humidity seems fine to me. I usually have a 50% humidity during incubation, then increase it to 70% for lockdown. I follow those same guidelines for all my incubators, including my Brinsea Mini Advance.

I would avoid locking down any later. Turning eggs past day 18 can cause malpositions of the embryo. Plus, in my experience, bantam eggs always seem to hatch just a little early. You may have some external pippers on day 19, in which case you'd want the humidity to already be at the right point.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

9. chickchickuk

chickchickuk New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Thank you! I never thought hatching chucks could be so stressful!! [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on the successful hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by