Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nina740, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Nina740

Nina740 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Florida
    I have had chickens for a year now and love it. I have 9 chickens in total. Two White Leghorns, one Buff Orpington, four Easter Eggers, one Barred Rock, and 1 Golden Comet. Still want to get some sillkies. Anyone know anything about them or have any advice?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you do a search, there are a lot of Silkie threads you might find helpful, here is the longest one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/0_20 One thing is Silkies often get picked on in mixed flocks, so they often do need to be kept separate from regular birds.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The most important thing about Silkies is their are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. Sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. So anyone telling you they are offering definite boys or girls at an early age - should be avoided.

Otherwise silkies are very popular - generally very good with children and most make excellent broody hens. There are several dedicated silkie threads on BYC, generally by color ie, Buff Silkies, Paint Silkies, "Nothing but Patridge silkies," etc. My favorite is simply "Silkie Thread." You will love all the pictures posted, and some very nice people on there.

There is another variety of silkie called Showgirls, they possess the silkie personality, brooding characteristics etc. but, have naked necks . You may want to check out their thread also. Some people call them ughly, I call them exotic.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies, and they are adorable, sweet, friendly, and funny birds. My children made lap pets of them. Because they are small (bantams), I wouldn't recommend keeping them in the same coop/run with standard sized breeds or they will likely take a beating. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. MeghanMermaid

MeghanMermaid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    Gulfport, Florida
    I had a couple Rhode Island Reds, which are great. Gave good eggs but tended to be shy, and free ranged out of sight in our large yard most of the day. THEN....we got some Bantams (Cochins'frizzled'). Wow! What an amazing surprise! They were sweet, and TAME and eat from our hands. They love banana and grapes and even fall asleep on the laps of my children. So, we decided to build on the Bantam breeds and add Silkies to our flock just recently. I searched for a Show Quality breeder in my area, and made sure to see the parents on site when we went. We picked a 3-4 week old, Splash juvenile and a day old Blue, Silkie chick. They are ALREADY responding to my voice when I approach the brooder, and are relaxed when I pet or hold them (not to mention that they are like THE CUTEST creatures on the planet!) I love my new babies already and recommend Bantams, especially Silkies to anyone who wants a more interactive "relationship" with their birds. I have a 9, 5, and 4 year old who LOVE caring for our flock, collecting eggs or even just watching them free range! Good luck! Oh!! Make sure, if you're interested in that "very fluffy" look for a breeder who has BEARDED Silkies. (The beardless ones just aren't as cute). Here's my new baby Silkies[​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. Nina740

Mar 24, 2015
    Florida
    Thanks everyone!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Sounds like you have a nice flock! I hope you can find some Silkies.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

10. Nina740

Mar 24, 2015
    Florida
    Thanks, I hope so too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by