SunnyDay12

Hatching
Mar 27, 2015
Hi! I'm just starting out with raising chickens. New enough that I plan to building my coop this weekend. LOL. This is something I've wanted to do but haven't been able to until now. My dad showed me this site and I love it!.
I've been looking at all the different breeds and I really like the Ameraucana. I live in Arkansas and I'm having difficulty finding someone who sells that breed. If anyone knows where I could find someone selling the Ameraucana it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. What part of Arkansas are you in? I was born in Hot Springs, and still love that area. Just be aware that if you get your Ameraucanas from a hatchery, feed store, or tractor supply as opposed to a breeder, they will be Easter Eggers and not true Ameraucanas which are relatively rare and expensive and lay only blue eggs as opposed to EEs which lay eggs in a number of different colors. Hatcheries produced these EEs by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers and often incorrectly market them under the labels Ameraucana or Araucana. The only hatchery that I am aware of that breeds true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery which breeds Blue Ameraucanas, and they charge 5 times as much for them as they do for their EEs. Not that there is anything wrong with EEs; they are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorites (she loves their colored eggs), but it can be disappointing to some owners who think they are buying true Ameraucanas when they are in fact getting EEs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Ameraucanas.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You may find some Ameraucanas being sold in the Buy-Sell-Trade section: Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade

I hope you can find some! Purebred Ameraucanas are beautiful birds.

I live in Arkansas as well. .
About an hour and a half from Hot Springs.
We raise Dexter cattle, and I am looking for some "little" chickens to go with our "little" cows.

I am looking for Ko Shamo. .seen them the other day online, and fell in love with them.

Any contact information for reputable breeders would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom