newbieicity girl gone country

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by llineb, May 5, 2009.

1. llineb

llineb New Egg

May 5, 2009
    tn
    hi, i married a country boy and moved from the city to a farm. i love it. we decided to get some chickens so i did the research. i figured we could get 3 or 4 hens that were already laying and eat their fresh eggs. my son was sick so i stayed home with him and my husband went to church alone. he came home all smiles. "i just got us some chickens" he said. well great, or so i thought. he then handed me his order slip for 25 chicks. oh lordy! i quickly did more research and realized alot of work went into raising chicks. i bought all the stuff and our package arrived promptly. who knew 25 birds could fit into such a small box. we made it through the heat lamp and getting them to the coupe. we ended up with 2 roosters. one is very found of me since i raised him and the other is a psych cluck. he waits until your back is turned and will jump you. he never backs down. it's really kinda scary, but i just carry a broom and ward him off until i get where i am going. they are free range chickens and have the run of the farm. this is where i need help. i have 2 year old twins and the roosters used to jump them when they we little birds. now i can not have the twins outside if the roosters are close b/c they have spurs now. they have taken over my porch and keep us from enjoying it due to the poop everywhere and the roosters. how can i get them off my porch? they make frequent visits and poop everywhere! i want my porch back!
    thanks, lara

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington
    I've never had roos, but most people here say get rid of problem roos, especially if you got small kids. They can do serious damage.
    I think the only way to keep them off porch is fence.
    Good Luck,
    Imp

3. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    DUMPLINGS ANYONE??

I just hate mean birds, can't have them hurt your babies!

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    First, [​IMG] Second, if they are that bad, I would consider getting rid of them. Not all roosters are like that and hopefully you can find some nicer ones so the children can be around them and you can have your porch back!

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    First things first - [​IMG] from sunny Florida

Second - roos make great stew, so I am told. If you don't want to do it, you should be able to find someone at your church who will (a) know someone who will do it for you for a price or (b) know someone who will take the roo for their own flock or their own dinner. [​IMG] problem solved

Third, if you can't locate someone thru your church, then try your local feed store. Then there's always here or craigslist.

You've got to take back that porch, woman. Get them mean nasty roos outta there and enjoy your sunsets again. (Your porch does look out at a sunset doesn't it? You said "gone country" so that's what I'm picturing)

good luck:thumbsup

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Lara!

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

9. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

10. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Welcome! I'm trying to take my 0.23 acre place back...way back to the country. So I like your story....good luck w/ your roos. The folks who answered your post have good advice re: craigs list and your church.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by