Newbies in Virginia!

RetroCoop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Virginia
. Good Morning! We live in Southside virginia and just started our chicken coop on Saturday! Anyone close to us?

Beth and David

Well I live in Southwest Virginia close to the NC border, so we might be close. Hi there! I think there's a specific VA thread as well, but I haven't had too much luck with it in finding poultry for sale. Glad to have more Virginians around.
frow.gif

Lol! I don't even know! We just got them :pSaturday. We are very new at this. They are in my profile pic. :/:/:confused:

Looks like Red Sex Links (sometimes called Golden Comets) to me! Maybe a Production Red (called Rhode Island Reds by the hatcheries) in there as well. They should lay you lots and lots of eggs, and generally have friendly personalities.

They have already proven to lay, since we have gotten almost 18 in the last two days. And they love us being in the coop with them.

I want to add to my flock in the spring, but I want to stay with good layers and have either brown or Easter egg layers. Do you have any advice?

Hello from Spotsylvania! I've only been at it a few more weeks than you have, so the only advice on breeds I have is to take your time selecting your next hens. There are so many attractive and productive birds out there, each with such unique characteristics.

I purchased all of my new flock from Meyer Hatchery and I have been very pleased with the birds and the service/support from them. However, I just recently spoke to a very nice young lady at Eden Farms in Gum Springs, VA. I plan to pay them a visit when I am back in the market.

petrel is right, it's best to take your time deciding on your next breed. But you will never get as good egg production from another breed as you get with your reds. They may come close in their first few years, but nothing beats those birds in brown egg production. My Easter Eggers from Meyer hatchery average an egg every other day, but they have proved to not be so great at winter laying. In good weather, they will lay almost every day. This is true of most hatchery birds, but everyone has different experiences with different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom