Newbie's (Possibly Dumb) Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens2011, Aug 15, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hello, getting my first chicks soon, [​IMG] and have a few random questions:

First, pine shavings are ok for chicks brooder, right?

And second, I'm wondering if it would be okay to put the brooder (rabbit cage) outside. Where I live it is in the high 90's during the day and gets to around 70 at night during this time of year. It may be a terrible idea but I'm new to all this and don't know, so I would appreciate advice. Thanks in advance!

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Hi and [​IMG] !!

First, pine shavings are great. I prefer them over straw for odor control and ease of cleaning.

Second, as to whether or not you can put the chicks outside depends on the brooder box, heat lamp, etc. Chicks must be kept at 95 degrees for the first week. After that temp can be dropped 5 degrees per week until "room" temp is reached. If your brooder box can keep the temp steady all night, than they would be fine outside. Our chicks went immediately into the coop with a brooder light and all the doors sealed. All made it and they are healthy and happy (unless dh goes into the coop without treats, then Red, Hellroo, attacks!). [​IMG]

Good luck! And welcome to the chicken addiction!

3. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for your help!!! [​IMG]

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    No prob! I've been where you are and this website is awesome.

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Pine shavings are the preferred bedding for the entire life of the chick. Can't be beaten. Outside or inside doesn't matter. Mine were outside under a light during 45 degree nights at two weeks old. No problem. At four weeks the night time temps rose into the sixties and the light was removed. If they get chilled they will huddle together. Most new owners tend to overheat the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by